Friday, August 26, 2011

Her Name Was Katy

and we were at the bar

drinking

smoking

next to each other

as our group of friends

were oblivious to

one another.

I asked her for a cigarette

and she said

only if I can have one of yours.

No problem

I said

as I pulled out a pack.

We lit each other up

and began to make

the small chat

people like us tend to do.

Each word

each smile

was an invitation

to get closer

and closer.

We were judging time

by drinks,

cigarettes

and friends who had to leave

because of work in the morning.

Finally

we were left alone

as the bartender

readied to leave us both.

Riding a wave

of proximity we

kissed

as sweetly as

two drunks

smoking in a bar could

kiss.

So when can we see

each other again I said.

I heard her phone number,

Three

Two

Three

and I woke up

never hearing the rest,

wondering where she could be

as I heard a bird outside chirp

while I sat myself down

to immortalize those few

moments we had

in a world too good

to be real.

No comments: