Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Unintended Balance

In less than a day
I thought of elementary school
far more
than at any time
since I had been in there.

One of my oldest
and dearest
of friends
had just given birth
to a beautiful boy.

I was ecstatic
at the news.
I felt nothing
but joy
at such good tidings
for her.

A few hours later
I heard news
of a former classmate
who had just died
from cancer.

Honestly,
I felt very little.
I did not hate him
nor did I love him.

We were of the same age
and faith, but we were never close.

I last saw him over 12 years ago
in passing.

I sit here wondering
about the delicate balance
between being
and un-being.

It is a line far thinner than
any of us can admit.

I sweat
just enough
to wipe the drops
from my brow

and shutter
the words on this
page.

No comments: