Saturday, September 7, 2019

Experience

Is there a joy greater than watching children
of your own blood laughing and playing
in the early years of their lives?

Unencumbered joy. Happiness untainted
by any worldly concern.

Sometimes I wish I were these children.
Wishing I were freed of the burden of being,
the burden of knowledge.

These children will cease to be children one
day and I will mourn the passing of their
innocence into that of worldly knowledge.

I did not know, did not understand when
my change into experience occurred.
Am I still the child I feel in ancient memory?

At times, I do not feel the weight of my
years and experience. At other times
it weighs me to the sea-floor.

This late summer day overwhelms us
with it's heaving embrace.

It is good to be alive and feel this warmth.
The sweat of life. The passion.

Hold me tonight.

No comments: