Monday, February 21, 2022

Checking In

It had been some time since

we had checked in with each other.

Steve died the day before Mother's Day.

We reached out to see if the others

had heard about the news.

Turns out we all knew.

Last time I saw him

was hanging out

at a bar just down the road.

He looked a little worse for the wear

but seemed alright 

all things considered.

He was in a halfway house he said.

I thought I'd see him again.

I thought the same thing

years ago the last time 

I saw his little brother

before he overdosed.

I thought of their mother.

Her grief at losing another son.

I didn't know her well enough to reach out.

I hope their little brother is ok.

I sit here alone

listening to jazz-

thinking 

of who has been lost

and how much more

there is to go.

No comments: