Sunday, January 30, 2011

The Dream ( For L.B. )

I had to fix the curtain from backstage

otherwise the magician (

or was it a juggler ? )

would have performed against

a backdrop of half remembered things.

I walked around into the room

as he performed for a half filled show.

I had the uneasy feeling that an

ex-girlfriend was sitting in the

shadow filled corner of the alcove.

I didn't stick around to find out.

It's not clear if you were already there

but it feels as though you were.

The landscape changed abruptly

( or so my conscious mind thinks )

and we were somewhere else.

It must have been outside,

a prairie wind blew and rustled

the tops of grain stretching endless

into a landscape I have never known.

You face was so bright in my eyes,

that smile always lit up my heart

there again before me.

We exchanged pleasantries

and picked up without a

hitch from where last we left.

Not surprisingly

I couldn't stand to look away

from you. What fortune

brought you back to me?

I can remember looking down and

seeing our hands committing

a small act of love

and affection.

Things turned biblical

when an older couple

entered the scene.

There was a small

building nearby,

more a shack than

anything.

They asked if we could take

a picture of them.

The words appeared and

arranged behind them

as I focused the camera.

I read the phrase and laughed

at the timing of it all.

I awoke with the feeling that

it could mean something.

I awoke feeling

that I have missed you

so utterly and thoroughly

as our lives have become

rivers flowing in

opposing directions.

No comments: