Thursday, June 23, 2011

Between (part 1)

It's not too often you wake up on your back inside a
lifeboat staring up at an ashen sky. I suppose thats 
the most normal part of what I'm going to tell you. 
There is nothing particularly normal looking about
this place, wherever the hell here is. Once I began 
to look around all I could see was water and trees;
large, gnarled, dead trees jutting from the water like
a field of skeletal hands begging the sky. 

I'm not sure how long I sat there at first as I drifted
through the trees. It was a strange and terrible beauty
being there. I didn't want to chance getting out of
the boat and into the water because I had no idea
of what could be there. From what I could tell
there were no creatures moving about to speak of. 
I couldn't see into depths. 

In the boat I did have a pair of oars along with an
old note book full of missing pages and a pen.
The note book didn't look familiar but I assumed 
it was mine, otherwise why would it be there? I 
didn't bother rowing for some time because the
water seemed to know where I was going. It was 
good enough for the time being. 

The sky never broke from its one color palette. 
There was no sun to speak but there was no moon
either. I assumed there had to be a sun since there
was enough light to see around that place. If I had 
to say what time it looked like it was, I'd guess it 
was somewhere around 5p.m. at any given time. 
That's just a guess. 

I had a lot of time to think then. That's really all I
could do besides watch the scenery. Even the 
strangeness of the place became boring after a 
while. It just goes to show that we can get used to
just about anything. 

What I began to notice was how mutilated and dead
all these trees seemed. They were shorn of all their
leaves like an endless winter, the bare branches 
lonely without their adornments. Some of the trees
looked utterly dead, others looked like they were
struggling to maintain the flicker of life. 

There was a lonely silence that was only broken by
the sound of the boat slowly pushing through the
water. For all the trees around there were no other
signs of life to be found. No small creatures scurrying,
no birds nesting, chirping. Just a perpetual loneliness
that held on tight like a mother to her newborn.



No comments: