Sunday, March 4, 2012

Self Portrait: Rejected Pop Song (after Dean Rader)


I am not the metronome
I am not God’s sense of timing
I am not the song stuck in your head
I am not the hit single, not the single

You are not the record company
You are not the music scene, not its artists
You are not hell’s amplified accordion
You are not the Billboard charts

Don’t tell me you’re the pitch corrector
Don’t tell me you’re the _____, the _____
Don’t tell me you’re the golden reach around
Don’t tell me you’re the new Motown

Just tell me you’re the spirit of soul
Just tell me you’re the perfect pair of headphones
Just tell me you’re the brown note, the brown note
Just tell me you’re the arpeggio

No one is the conductor
No one is the violinist’s bow
No one is the Grand Ole Opry stage
No one is the soloist’s anxiety

We are the inspiration
We are the groove
We are the sound, the sound
We are this the

No comments: