Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Letter

Dear You,

I decided to write a letter because it seems like quite
the anachronistic thing to do these days. It must have

been utterly barbaric trying to communicate with one
another over long distances back when. I had to find

a piece of blank paper that I felt would do an adequate
job, and a pen that whose ink wouldn't smear all over

the page if my hands touched it. I still need to find an
envelope and some stamps; writing this is the bigger

task at hand at the moment. I can't imagine it was easy
to erase ink if you made a mistake, perhaps they would

just mail the letter off like that anyway. I have seen
those documentaries on the American Civil War

where they have actors read dramatic interpretations
of letters soldiers would write home. Did people

really write and talk like that? I suppose they did.
How did they understand what the letters were

saying? Some of that handwriting looked so elaborate.
Maybe they used some sort of interpreter. I couldn't

write or speak like that if my life depended on it.
I don't really expect you to write back, though,

it would be great if you did. I hope your family
is doing alright. I've missed having you around.

What a silly exercise this has been. To think,
people used to do this all the time.

Sincerely,
________________

No comments: