Monday, November 19, 2012

Precious Amber

Can you play like Bill Evans on 'Blue In Green'
from the 'Kind of Blue' album by Miles Davis?
I love that song. It's romantic with an underlying
sense of sadness. Times both passed and missed,
the fulfillment of aging, the stable instability of
change without end. I don't know how it can
make me feel this way, but it does. I can't help
but feel this every time. I listen to it more and
more, hoping to make sense of everything. I
reach a point where I don't need things to make
sense any longer, I can look at the moment and
see it for what it is. Amber containing an insect,
a speck of pollen. Did the insect know it would
achieve an abbreviated immortality? Set in a neck-
lance, dangling by chain on the chest of a woman?
Life has a way of making us laugh when it's not
breaking out hearts. Notes as pure as glass sparkle
through the darkness, haunt the air with their sound.
Miles has been dead for years, Bill, even further since.
Their amber floats through ether, makes them unstuck
in time, breathes their hands to life once more, how
they would love this morning, clear blue, radiance
warming everything. We watch the same sky. How
many more times shall we see this? Precious amber
glinting in the sun.

No comments: