Thursday, February 14, 2013

Socrates In The Modern World


I told her that I am not so wise.
She said “How can you say that?”
“Very easily,” I said, “with words.”
“That’s not what I meant.”

This all started because we had been
talking about Socrates. He famously
said that all he knows is that he knows

nothing. We can be reasonably sure
that even if Socrates didn’t phrase it
like that he did say something to that

effect. What hope do us mortals have if
such a vaunted mind felt so confident
about his own lack of knowledge?

If Socrates were alive today I wonder
if he would still feel the same. If he were
alive today there are many other things

which he would be ignorant about, such
as the last two-thousand or so years of
history. What would he think of the

monotheism of Christianity and Islam?
Would he convert to either faith?
Or would he find comfort in Buddhism?

I’m sure he would find Scientology to be
a hard sell. I do. He could easily become
a media sensation and have plenty of quick

one line sound bites ready to be easily
digested by any of the news shows. They
would need to find someone to translate

his colloquial Latin. I don’t think most news
outlets would be ready, but it would give
Latin students new job opportunities aside

from the usual high school teaching gigs
to uninterested students who are more worried
about the breakout probabilities of their skin.

I am still not sure why my friend thinks me
so wise. I am glad to be thought of in such
a way but those thoughts don’t seem to take

into account my shortcomings. I wonder what
was Socrates least favorite thing about himself.
Perhaps he never learned to properly tie his toga.

“I am not wise,” I told her, “I am merely a man.
Because of this my existence will always lack.
This is not the worst fate that could befall me

or any of us, it’s just the state of how we exist.
We live in tiny bubbles floating through air
that could burst at any moment. The miracle

is the continued state of the bubble. It is no
less beautiful because of it’s short life, in fact,
it is more beautiful,” I said.

We sat in the silence of the city, the sounds
of wind muddled with the mass of purring
engines and voices blurring into one sound.

No comments: