Friday, April 19, 2013

Spectator/Performer

I walked out of the bar drenched in sweat belonging
to myself and others. The band had just finished playing
in the past five or so minutes. My body was not yet aware
of the aches it would remember the next morning. 
My ears echoed with the peal of bells ringing
in celebration of some victory; in a way that is what
the evening had been. The cool sea breeze hit my damp
body and electrified my skin once more. There were
a few tattooed, drunk, and deafened people leaning 
against the front of the building. I walked briskly 
to my car. I was parked just around the car. 
When I unlocked the door I was alone with my ringing
ears. It felt alien to be sitting down after standing
and fighting for footing for so long. I held my ground
during the band's set as best I could. I was up front
the entire time while the crowd surged heavily
and bruised my flesh. I tried to think of some music
to put on and could think of nothing that would
be a suitable follow-up. The keys fired up the ignition
as the engine shuddered to life. I rolled down 
the windows and began to drive through the streets,
wind gradually drying my body. I made it to the other 
side of town in 20 minutes flat. As I walked to the door
I could feel the blood surge to my hands and forearms,
the veins began to bulge. I couldn't wait to be up there.

No comments: