Tuesday, April 2, 2013

When They Call

She called and said to come over
and see her. It was late
but I figured she probably
had good reason. I drove across
town to where she was staying-
it was her dads house
but he was gone for a few days.
I called her after I parked.
A light came on and the front door opened.
She stood there as I slammed
the car door closed. I'm sure
at least a few people heard it.
She hugged me tightly
as I came up to her.
Thank you so much for coming, 
she said into my ear.
Handmade oak furniture
dotted the living room.
She told me her Dad was a master
woodworker. I was impressed.
I looked at the time,
it was one in the morning. She sat next
to me on the couch and asked
if she could read me some of her
writing she had been prepping
for her final. I said, sure.
Her eyes focused intently on the page
as she looked down at words
between her hands. Her voice was
pleasant but tired. What do you think?
I told her that it could use some minor
revisions near the end
but that overall it was fine.
I asked her if I could see the paper
to make some notes. I pulled out
the pen from my coat and began
to mark up the pages.
I handed them back to her
and asked if there was
anything else she needed.
She said yes.

No comments: