Friday, June 13, 2014

don't call this advice

They say it could be worse

and sometimes it isn't

though oftentimes it is.

They say things will get better

and sometime they do, though,

often they remain unchanged.

Let's not give hollow platitudes

in lieu of advice.

It will be hard.

There will be uncomfortable sacrifice.

There will be fewer friends and family

after large reorganizations.

The right ones will remain.

Take my advice when I say

stop listening to the voices

that populate our cities,

that fill our eyes with flash.

Turn off your computer,

your phone, your television,

your car, and walk outside

for a moment. It might be sunny,

overcast, rainy, nighttime,

it doesn't matter. Listen to the world

around you without headphones,

see the world around you

without a screen between you.

What you hear and see

will be more honest than

what is given to you, to us,

every day. It is not my place

to tell you what to do then.

There will be a voice speaking

once you have agreed to listen.

It will know what needs to come

next. It may be wrong, but more likely,

it will be right. Excuse me.

I need to leave right now.

There is some place I need to be

with someone I have yet to meet.




No comments: