Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Sunset 3/23/15

There is very little that any of us
can claim to truly own in our lives.
Almost everything we have
can be taken away from us
at almost any point.
How does this make me feel?
It makes me feel awed and helpless
but not without hope.
Does the sand feel powerless
at the strength of the ocean?
It does not consider it.
The sand moves and shifts
from beach to water.
I see myself as part of
a larger whole,
one that does not end
when we do. Our consciousness
is a flicker of a light
burning bright
in an existence that is
marginally aware of us.
I feel no attachment
to institutions of power.
These forces rage
against that which encroaches
upon them. Their power
is nothing more
than a toddler gripping
the finger of a parent.
Time will strip us of everything.
Friends.
Parents.
Spouses.
Heros.
Possessions.
Memory.
Our lives.
I feel it impossible to surrender
until the day
I must.
I will
relent to the forces
that created us
and will us
back to an eternal whole.

No comments: