Thursday, November 11, 2021

Twelve Years

When you said it had been
twelve years
my disbelief covered me
in anxiety.
Had it really been that long?
Had that many years
passed between our lives?
It took me only a moment
to realize you were right.
So many of those years
I spent unknowingly 
lost in the cloud of my life.
My pursuits and ambitions
got the best of me
and pushed me 
to the edge of the canyon.
I had to learn to make peace
with life.
I had to learn to make peace
with myself.
I am a student
and always will.
When I look at the pictures
of the two of us
I feel as old as I look.
You look as though
a portrait of you hangs
hidden in an attic.
You told me 
you feel your age.
That when you smile
the crows feet appear
and I wonder how 
they ever tread 
upon your face.
You said your daughter
would be at home here-
the place we both grew up.
I could see you fully in her.
I know you're right.
I told you to come back.
Come back home
and let your daughter
reach her hand to the moon
and hold it with all her might.

No comments: