Sunday, July 12, 2009

We Are Undone, We Are Ending



Watching Our Threads Unravel In The Wind
Threads

weaving in 

& out

of lives

ordinary

& extraordinary

compose the cloth.

Time wears them thin,

warmth becomes

a see through memory.

Threads bind,

break & 

disintegrate.

This cloth is unraveling,

this thread

finally 

at an end.




Growing Pains
I have never felt this kind of sadness.

What we were,

what we could have been

is now 

a dead and boring history.

Seeing you last night

left me empty.

You looked as beautiful

as you always have

but I had changed.

It doesn't make this easier.

7 years you said to someone

that we have known each other.

7 years of this.

7 years of the highs and lows

of everything.

Pictures of us together,

the book of Rilke

you gave me

inscribed by your hand

"...to my young poet."

Do you remember us then?

The gap has become a chasm

that broadens with

every passing day.

No words I write

can convey

what this meant,

what is left inside.

The inevitable end

of natural decay.




At Least This
I am alive.

Heart beating,

Lungs breathing,

Fingers flitting over keys

as morning streams through

slatted windows.

The room grows warm

as the sun ascends 

this summer morn.


Internal Editor
How honest must we be?

What would you think of me

if I released every inner thought

to you?

What would I think

if you did the same?

Bite the tongue,

taste the sweetly salty

blood on buds 

more used to 

common tastes.

It is better perhaps

that most of us

have sense enough

to filter

the raging rivers

burbling beneath.


A Vice 
Embracing 

the sweet cough

of transcendence

was all I could think

to do after last night.

I could have done without

but I used that crutch

anyhow.

The witching hours

drifted by as 

my mind and body

did the same.


Bound by Love, Need & Madness
We are together

because we need this

far worse than any of us 

can comprehend.

As a pack

we are dangerous

with our chosen

mode of expression.

Torrents rage at you

in a newfound embrace

of the inner sound 

that ached for too long

in muted form.

We need this salvation.

There is no Christ

to give it to us.

We are the mortal

& fallible gods

that will find salvation

beholden to no one.

We lead these lives

because you never will

and someone should.



No comments: