Monday, November 30, 2009

Red Dolly (Draft 2)

Red Dolly

Lennox is a small town

beneath the flight path of planes

heading into LAX.



We lived in a small two-bedroom house

with other families like us,

poor recent immigrants

from Mexico and other Spanish

speaking parts of the western world.

Few memories of those years remain.



One night

my father was taking out the trash

as I tagged along.



From the garage

he pulled out

a small red dolly.

He asked me to stand on it.

I stood on it, holding on to the bars

as my father tilted it back.

My little heart was thrilled

I was doing something

like this with my daddy.

I wasn't fearful.

I was trusting of him,

feeling good

about myself and our world

because of such a simple thing.



Yesterday

as I was pulling out of the driveway

at our home in Hawthorne

I looked over and saw

my three year old

baby brother Tyler

standing and holding onto

the same red dolly

I once had,

looking as happy and pure

as I must have that evening

so many years ago.

No comments: