Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Kindness

Chief sits silently next to me as he pours his light beer
into a tumbler filled with ice. I haven't heard him say
a word all night. He usually doesn't. Old Jenny sits 
next to him, talking enough for both of them. Her lips
curve  inward as each word escapes slightly mushed 
of sound or meaning. Chief motions to Stephanie 
at the other end of the bar. She brings over another
bottle and sets it in front of Jenny. "Thanks, Chief,"
she says. Her belly hangs in front of her large breasts
and rests against the bar. She keeps on talking. Chief
may or may not be listening. He sits there quietly, 
politely. The thinning gray hairs cling carefully to his
scalp like the survivors of a drawn out war. I try to 
make out what Jenny is saying. Only fragments of 
speech make it to my ears. The rest is drowned out
by the jukebox overhead, the sound of other voices
being honest for the first time all day. Chief looks 
down at his glass and then straight up, looking past
the entrance on the opposite side of the bar. I can see
Jenny's lips still moving. Her lips make me think of 
the mouth of a fish gasping in the air after  having 
been caught. She still breathes. She still talks. She 
has survived her bout out of the water. Chief slowly
comes down from the flattened cushion of the bar 
stool. "Goodbye, Chief! You take care. You be 
safe out there! You drive safe, ok?"she says. Her
eyes follow him as he makes his way towards the
door. Chief raises his right hand in a backward
wave that we see as he passes invisibly to everyone
else. Old Jenny moves into Chief's empty stool 
and looks at me. "What's your name, honey?"
I tell her my name and take a long pull from the 
bottle in front of me. She continues the story she
must have been telling all night. She's been divorced,
cheated on, heard people condemning her sister
for marrying a black man. I look at her cropped hair
closely, her eyes sitting in her head like they are too
tired to stay open. The lines in her face tell her story
better than her words. I feel her hand touch my 
shoulder, its weight resting there, a space crossed
only by the closest of relations. I look in her eyes
and nod my head. The juke box goes quiet
and I excuse myself to use the restroom. "Ok,
honey." She grabs her nearly empty drink and
finishes it. She brings the one Chief bought for 
her closer. I stagger into the restroom and brace 
myself against the wall. I dry my hands and look 
into the mirror. It's late, it's a weeknight. I can see
the lines etching themselves slowly into my 
skin. More people call me 'Sir' than before.
The jukebox is back on when I walk out into the bar. 
Some reggae tune from a few years ago is playing 
overhead. I don't see Jenny. When I get to my 
stool her last empty has been cleared. The beer
Chief got for her sits on a coaster next to mine. 
It's still full. 

No comments: