Wednesday, July 18, 2012

She Looked Like Marilyn (Draft 1)

She held the door open for her friend as they walked into the office. 
Her friend was hunched over and moved slowly with her cane. After
her friend was inside, she closed the door. "Would you mind if we 
wait here?" she said. I told her it was no problem. The theatre wasn't
going to be open for another 20 minutes or so. 

"I hope you don't mind us waiting in here with you." Her hair was 
done in the same way Marilyn Monroe had in the movie "The Seven
Year Itch". Everyone knows that movie or at least the scene where
her white dress billows up around her over a vent in the street. Unlike 
Marilyn, she wasn't wearing a white dress, though her blouse was 
white. Her face was framed by glasses too large for her face. She
must have been very beautiful when she was younger. Even though
beauty fades, traces of it linger on. 

Her friend was resting comfortably in the overstuffed red velvet chair.
She could have sat down but instead was looking at the pictures on 
the wall. Some of them have been on display longer than I've been alive.
That's part of the charm of working in a place as old as this theatre. 

She turned to me as she pointed towards a black and white picture of 
a man playing sax. "Do you know who that is?" I told her I didn't.
"That's Stan Getz. I was here the night that picture was taken. It was
a wonderful performance. He had just put out an album with a young
brazilian guitarist. The guitarists wife sang a couple of songs on the
record as well. The music was heavenly. Have you heard the record
I'm talking about? It was called Getz/Gilberto."

I thought about it for a moment. I remember my dad would play old
jazz records in the house when I was growing up. The name was 
familiar enough. I was certain I had heard the album she was talking
about. I told her I wasn't entirely sure.

"You should listen to it some time. It's a very romantic album."
She looked across the pictures on the wall but her eyes always
came back to rest on that picture. 

"Do you see the carnation on his lapel?" she asked. I stood up
from behind the desk to take a better look. Sure enough, there
was a white carnation on his lapel. I told her I had never noticed
that before. She smiled. "I gave that to him."

"I would go see him play at The Lighthouse all the time back then.
He was always so handsome. After seeing me at a few performances
he came up to me and introduced himself between sets. I couldn't 
believe he had noticed me. He told me that he was going to be doing
a theatre show in a few weeks and that he would like to see me there
and to come by early. I made sure to be there early to see him. When
I walked up I saw him standing in the alley with the rest of the group.
As soon as he saw me he walked over and told the band he would
be back. I ad brought along a white carnation from my mother's garden.
When he saw it in my hand he asked me what it was for. I told him
it was for him to wear at the concert. He smiled and asked if I was 
going to pin it on him. I remember feeling my cheeks grow fiery hot.
Once I pinned the carnation to his lapel he came in closer and said
we should go have a drink together."

I looked over and saw that her friend had practically fallen asleep
in the overstuffed chair. I didn't blame her. If I was that old and 
in that comfortable of a chair I would probably do the same thing.

"We walked over to this small bar that used to be around the corner
from here. There were only a few other people in there beside us. 
We settled into a small booth near the back. He told me all about 
Brazil and how lovely the people and the music there were. He 
spoke in a way that matched his playing. He looked at his watch
and said we needed to get going for the show. As we walked into
the street he took my hand and held it. His fingers locked with mine
and I squeezed it. We got to the ticket window and he told the girl
inside that I was his guest. He reached in and kissed me. Find me 
after the show he said."

"The girl had the usher take me in and sat me in the perfect place
to see the performance. They played marvelously that night. I 
couldn't help but think how handsome he looked as he played 
with the carnation on his lapel."

I looked at my watch and saw that we were about to open the
doors for seating.

"Ma'am. We're about to start seating. Would you like me to show
you to your seats?"

"That would be wonderful."

She helped her friend up as I held the door open for the two of
them. 

"We were beautiful once" she said.

No comments: