Saturday, July 28, 2012

With No Tether

"Did you see the old guy walking up and down the block?" she said.

I haven't. Should I?

"Go to the window and look."

It took me a moment to see who she was talking about. There was the
usual cast of surfers, drunks, and yoga moms walking up and down 
the street during the early afternoon. When I saw him I knew who she
was talking about. He was tall with a slight stoop that gave away his 
age. His hair was a dome of gray while his face was sprinkled with 
stubble a day or two old. Each step moved him forward in a stilted 
shuffle. He stood in front of the window with his back faced to us as
he gazed out at the people on the beach. Sky blue shirt and khaki pants
hung off him with a little room to spare. A plane with a banner advertising
beer flew overhead as his head tilted to the side, as if to read it better.
His gaze moved downward to his feet as he turned around. I walked
behind my desk and sat down. I saw his hand reach for the door.

"Hello." he said.

"What can I do for you sir?"

"Have you seen Barbara?" His eyes searched me, hoping I had the answer.

"I'm not sure I know Barbara, Sir." I said.

"We...we came out here years ago when we first met. It was different then.
There weren't so many people around. The people that were around were
so nice. You could talk to anyone. I first saw her near the pier. She didn't
know me but she was beautiful. I'm not sure where she is. Have you seen
her?"

"What's her last name?"

"It's the same as mine. It's...it's..." his hands fumbled to his pockets, hoping
to find his wallet and ID. "I'm sorry. It's slipped my mind." A nervous laugh
escaped and hung heavy between us. 

"It's hot out there today. I was looking for Barbara. Her hair is long and brown
and she is very kind. We talked for hours that first day we met. I talked to God
out there when I was looking for her. He said she was alright. That she some
times worried about me. I told him to tell her to not worry. That it's ok. I'm
still here and I'm doing the best I can." 

I could hear her voice in the back office speaking in a hushed tone. 
I heard the hard plastic receiver come to rest. I looked back at her, her
lips were pursed and she nodded at me. He leaned against the top of the desk
and looked out the window.

"I drove so far to get here. But I had to get here today to find her. I hope she's
not worried. That's the last thing I'd want, is for her to be worried. That's just
no way to be."

I saw the shadows outside the window get closer. They came into view of the 
window as they opened the door. He turned his head slowly at the uniformed
men as they walked in together. 

"Hi, boys. Are you here to help me find Barbara?" he said.

One of them looked no more than 25 said "Yes, we are. First, you need to
come outside with us because we know she's not in here." His face lit up
and said "I know. This young man has no idea who she is. I'm glad you do."

The older of the two men leaned over and looked at me, "How long has he
been here?" 

"Not long at all." I said.

"We got a call from here as well as some other local businesses about him.
He seems harmless but we'll make sure we get him to where he needs to be."

They walked out with him in arm. 

After they had left she walked out from the back office.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you, but I had to call them. The guy was just creeping
me out. Didn't you feel?" she said.

I looked at her and thought for a moment, "I just hope he finds Barbara." 


No comments: