Saturday, January 26, 2013

Meeting Mary

Her name was Mary.

She did not know me

but I waited for her,

hoping for an audience.

She saw me and said,

"Don't worry, I see you.

I'll be with you in a moment."

Her smile was just so.

It felt good to be noticed.

I waited while she finished

speaking to my friend.

The two of us didn't come

together, but she was

the one that introduced me

to her writing.

Mary walked over and

we spoke. I asked her

"Which of your books

should I get first?"

She recommended

her 'Selected Poems'.

"If you wait a few months

it will be in paperback and

much more affordable."

I would end up buying

it in hardcover, despite

her advice. I thought

about how she sounded

when she read that evening.

Witty, sincere, and in control.

Her cadence, half-spell,

half-revelation. I still can't

believe she gave me her time.

I, the young man, new

to her work. Imagine God

speaking to Homo Erectus.

No comments: