Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Between Tunkas and Izamal

"TO HAVE A DESTINY OR
TO BE CLASSIFIED AS
A NUMBER   THIS DECISION
IS FORCED UPON ALL OF US"

- sign located between Tunkas and Izamal
in the Mexican state of Yucatan


We were traveling fast on the uneven road
as the green of the jungle blurred into
an indistinct smattering of color

The car barreled down the middle
We would only edge over to the right
when a vehicle would come towards us

Above the blur of green the blue sky held
steady  It lorded over everything much as
it has since we worshipped the sun

My Uncle and I didn't have to talk
the wind did that for us

We were going to buy meat that was
to be used for lunch and dinner
later that day.

On our drive back we drank cans of
cheap cold beer while I kept
the fresh meat in my lap

As we were driving back he told
me of people who had drowned in the
cenotes outside of town

How unfortunate for them I thought
as he pulled the car up to the house

No comments: