Thursday, February 26, 2015

The Girl In The Sandwich Shop (Notebook Dump #2)

I've written this story before but I wish to tell it differently this time. It all started because it was lunchtime and I'd left my food at home. A few co-workers had told me of a good deli a block over from us. It was a small place with all the necessary goods to sate most hungers or thirsts. 

The older man working the front counter nodded at me and said hello as I walked past him. I stood in front of the refrigerated glass cases containing the various meats, cheeses, and sides. I studied the menu posted above the counter. A moment passed before a young woman with sandy brown hair pulled into a ponytail walked up. 

"What can I get you today?" she said. I asked her for the club sandwich with everything on it. She jotted it down and said "It should be about ten minutes." She smiled before she walked away. I studied the various sides they had, mostly pastas, with a couple of variations of potato salad. I stood in the doorway and listened for a moment. The ocean breeze was pleasant, even if the day itself was slightly overcast. 

"Sir?" I heard from behind me. It was the older gentleman. He pointed back towards the glass cases. where she was peering out, looking at me, sandwich in hand. I don't know why I laughed a bit but I did. I stood in front of her as she began to hand it over she asked "What's so funny?" I smiled and said "Oh, nothing. There was just something in the way you were looking at me that just amused me." Her chin raised slightly and she said "I see." She paused for a moment and said "My name is Francesca. What's yours?" I cleared my throat and said "Byron". 

"Well, Byron, at least I know your name now so I can write it down next time." She reconsidered and asked me for the sandwich back. She pulled out a black sharpie and wrote my name down next to the price. "Here you go" she said as she handed it back to me. As she turned, her ponytail did a slight bounce as I walked over to the front counter to pay.

No comments: