Monday, February 5, 2018

Sentinel

How many years has it been
since my birth
that I have stood watch here?
Alone on the cliff
overlooking the bay
I watch the waters
come and go
as the wind touches
my extremities.
Sometimes I sigh
when the loneliness
becomes too much
but this rarely occurs.
I am mostly content here
to watch. From time
to time people
keep me company
and will rest
beneathe my shade
and share my view.
We are together in peace.
Sometimes lovers
will come to me
late at night
as the stars glimmer
in the dark heavens
above us. I'll look away
as I feel their warmth
at my roots. This is
my life and it goes
on and on, for how
many years I cannot say.
I am content to be here
and man this watch.
With every passing year
I feel my roots dig
deeper and grow
stronger. I am a child
of the earth and
am pleased to be at home.

No comments: