Thursday, January 8, 2015

I Did Because I Could Not

I could not swim across the ocean
I could not fly 

I could only walk 
   on my two feet
     one step
      after the other

I grew old walking
as I chased the Moon and Sun

I slept by moonlight
and walked by day

I let my hair grow long
and watched it grow grey

I saw my skin darken
and grow wrinkled

I kept walking through seasons
both furious and calm

I walked until my feet would tire
and my nails began to fall

I walked until I slowed
and could scarcely move at all

I walked until I had to sit
and sat until I had to walk

I walked until I found shade
beneathe the arms of a tree

I sat in comfort as I listened
to the birds sing

I sat and listened and listened
until I no longer desired to walk

until I closed my eyes
and I could hear the song no longer


No comments: