Thursday, January 22, 2015

Prayer

I pray
but I do not pray
to the God of Abraham,
to the God of Christ,
to the God of Mohammed.

    I do not pray to Gaia,
    I do not pray to Buddha,
    I do not pray to Vishnu.
But I do pray.

I pray so that my thoughts
can find their way into the world.
I pray so that my intentions
can be known.
I pray so that I feel a measure
of comfort and relief.

I pray in private.
I pray silently.
I pray when no one
would imagine me doing so.
I pray as I walk
before I break into a run.

I pray to keep those I love
in good fortune.
I pray for strength.
I pray so I may make
the right choices
and learn from my missteps.

I pray so my tears can find their way,
I pray so I may smile when I am happy.

I pray for you, though, you may have
never asked me to do so.

I pray because I have no faith,
I pray because my faith envelopes
the whole of the world.

I pray so I can enable creation
and be at peace when
the world is rearranged.

I pray before I drive,
I pray to be more whole.

I pray because I do not have to.
I pray because I wish to do so.

I pray because I wish to give thanks.

I pray because I continue to be.

No comments: