Monday, December 25, 2017

A Christmas Message

As I have grown older I have had to define what my relationship
to the holiday season is. My mother said 'Christmas is for the
children." In a certain sense she is absolutely right. We generally
skew the Christmas holiday towards giving presents to children
and young ones. This material expression of love is a benign thing
if kept in check. As time has gone on I have grown fully disinterested
in the material aspect of the holidays. That is not to say that I do not
still desire material things, I do, but I prefer to get for myself that
which I want instead of placing expectation on others. The sentiment
I carry this season is the idea of spending time with those you love.
Those family and friends whose presence in your life is truly the gift.
The importance of creating experiences and memories is something
that we can always carry with us through the changes in this sea.
We are now in Winter, the season of cold, the season of a barren
land. In earlier times there was much to fear in this time. In our age
it feels more a stark reminder that we should always prepare for
lean times before Spring brings the new dawn. I suppose this has
been a wordy, roundabout way of saying Merry Christmas and
Happy Holidays, no matter what you do or don't believe, or who
you're spending it with. Chances are I'm grateful for your continued
presence in my life and the chats and things we have yet to do
together. You are the gift, today and always. Take care, Everyone.
Love you.

No comments: