Monday, April 10, 2017

Marrow

I feel as though I cannot stay asleep.
My mind is remembering the mornings
at my grandparents house in Yucatan.
My two young cousins would already
be at school. Aunt C would be opening
the store while Aunt G would most likely
be getting food for breakfast. My grand-
parents would be comfortably asleep.
If I hadn't already woken up I probably
would be shortly. The bell in the town
square would toll and announcements
would be made.

This is where my spirit rises.
My blood flows from here.

I listen to the birds speaking
and become calmed by their voices.

The smell of the ground and the warmth
of the air are comfortable.

Bones of my ancestors are buried here.
I honor their memory with each return.

My past and future are tied with
the same thread.

Eating breakfast together with my aunts
at the table just outside the kitchen. A calm
routine. The cats lounge nearby.

My life reduced to the marrow.
Simplicity.

No comments: