Wednesday, April 12, 2017

The Dream, Part 3

As the boat continued past the gnarled root I began
to wonder what it had been part of. What kind of
life had once existed here. I gazed into the distance
and saw nothing else like for some time. Right before
I was going to lay down I once again saw the familiar
shaped of a gnarled root come into view. It was not
merely a root this time. A submerged field of these
roots lay ahead. The boat continued on. Once we
were close it became apparent that the boat was
going to enter this labyrinth of roots. I was worried
at first but the boat began to steer through as easily
as it were still moving in a straight line. I looked at
all the roots in their various twists and formations.
There was an odd beauty to them I could not resist.
How long we moved through this I do not know.
It can't be known. After much time I saw something
loom further ahead. Something that seemed at once
familiar but unknown. There at the far reach was a
magnificent tree whose trunk was a large and vast
thing. It's roots stretched in all directions. There was
something I had not seen in all this time- light.
There was a window and door hewn into the vast
body of the tree and light was burning warm and
bright. The boat began to slow as it grew closer.

No comments: