Monday, July 10, 2017

Declarative

"Listen."
I  hear this in my mind when I wake
at five in the morning.
It is not a command as much
as a declarative.
I ask myself
What am I to listen to
at this early hour?
I close my eyes
and listen to stillness itself.
The peaceful wave
of morning
A day yet untempered
by coming events.
Listen.
Listen.
Dawn begins to grow
from a planted seed
blooming quickly.
I listen and listen
and try to understand.
This self within me
twists and moves
inside my skin
straining to hear
to feel the morning air
This world wakes
at it's own pace.
I hear the first bird
of morning.
Is it listening as well?
What does it hear?
I cannot ask it
what it knows
yet I am glad to have it
at this moment
at this time
A companion unseen
but heard
Somewhere close
life is gathering
once more
Palm trees stand in stark
silhouette as the sky
grows light behind them

No comments: